Create a Family Mission Statement
Make a Family Mission Statement (Don't Guess that You Can Read Each Other's Minds)
Successful family life does not just happen, it takes love and support and planning from each other.
Family members can not read each other’s minds, so we need to talk about what our expectations are, in order to help each other.
We need to have our goals written down, so we know how best to serve each other.
A great way to write down these goals is by making a family mission statement.
Prayerfully answer the following questions as a family (give everyone a chance to add to it and discuss what is best for your family), then take your answers and write them into a family mission statement.
Put the mission statement in a prominent place in your house so everyone can see it and you can quickly refer back to it at any time.
Here are some questions that may help in making a mission statement:
- What does our family love doing together (playing, praying, talking, and working)?
- How do we want to play, pray, talk, and work together?
- As a family, how can we better help one another…
- What do we need to change to be better as a family?
- On what virtues do we want our family based?
- List of Possible Virtues: Acceptance, Assertiveness, Authenticity, Beauty, Caring, Cleanliness, Commitment, Compassion, Confidence, Consideration, Contentment, Cooperation, Courage, Creativity, Determination, Dignity, Encouragement, Enthusiasm, Excellence, Fairness, Faith, Flexibility, Forgiveness, Friendliness, Generosity, Gentleness, Graciousness, Gratitude, Helpfulness, Honesty, Hope, Humility, Integrity, Imaginative, Joyfulness, Justice, Kindness, Love, Loyalty, Moderation, Modesty, Optimistic, Orderliness, Passionate, Patience, Peace, Perseverance, Preparedness, Reliability, Respect, Responsibility, Reverence, Self-discipline, Service, Sincerity, Thankfulness, Trust, Truthfulness, Understanding, Wisdom, Wonder
- As a family, what can we give to others and how can we help people outside our family?
- What are your greatest strengths and talents?
- Here is a Worksheet on Who Has God Created You to Be - Talents and Gifts Sheet
Here is a sample Family Mission Statement (your family would want to be more specific with how they want to live these out):
Every month check how your family is doing with the mission statement.
Figure out if there is anything that needs to be added or edited in the mission statement.
The mission statement will change over time with the needs of your family.
More ideas on making a Family Mission Statement: https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/marriage-and-family/parenting/a-family-mission-statement-why-and-how-to-make-one.html
St. Jane Parish is a family rooted in our faith in Jesus Christ and our devotion to his Church. We strive always to be a welcoming community, with our doors open to all who seek the Lord.
Address: 4049 Hartley Avenue
Easton, PA 18045
6:30 a.m., 8:15 a.m. (Mon-Fri)
Sunday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., Noon
Holy Day: Consult Bulletin
Wednesday: 8:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday: 3:45 - 4:45 p.m., or by appointment